Arithmomania is a mental disorder that manifests as an obsession with counting. As it appears in Lost Souls, this is limited to counting objects in one's environment.
Each case of arithmomania may include any combination of the following:
- Counting inanimate objects
- Counting people
- Counting things of a particular type present when the disorder first occurs
- Counting things of a particular type present at the time of counting
- Counting one's attackers
- Counting one's friends
The arithmomaniac may also count in any or all of the following ways:
- Silently to hirself
- Spoken, but quietly to hirself
Further, these are the ways sie may select the language to use for spoken counting:
- Hir native language
- Hir primary language
- A random language from among those sie speaks when the disorder first occurs
- A random language from among those sie speaks at the time of counting
The possibilities, out of the above sets of options, that are possible are set when the disorder first occurs and last for the duration of the disorder.
While the disorder lasts, one will be forced to count objects as determined by the possibilites described above, using the count command. The more severe the disorder, the more frequent the counting events.